Thank you for taking our survey! The information you have shared will help the Diverse Elders Coalition and the National Council on Aging develop resources to support diverse elders who want to apply for public benefits.
If you would like more information on applying for the programs described in this survey, please see below:
Diverse Elders Coalition: www.diverseelders.org/learn/?issue=medicaid-medicare
The Diverse Elders Coalition digital library has a number of brochures on Medicare and Medicaid, available in six different languages.
National Council on Aging: You Gave, Now Save: A Guide to Benefits for Seniors
The National Council on Aging’s “You Gave, Now Save” guide to benefits for seniors provides detailed information about the benefits programs available, who may be eligible, and how to get further information and application assistance. The guide is available in English, Spanish and Chinese.
You can request printed copies by calling the Eldercare Locator at 1-800-677-1116
National Resource Center on AAPI Aging: www.napca.org/resource/medicare-information-assistance/
The National Resource Center on AAPI Aging has a guide to national, regional, and community-based organizations that are capable of providing in-language information and assistance on Medicare and other benefits, as well as instructions on how to request free interpreter services from the Social Security Administration.
National Resource Center on LGBT Aging: http://bit.ly/LGBTAgingBenefits
The National Resource Center on LGBT Aging has a series of brochures and articles on public benefits for LGBT older adults, including guidance for transgender older adults who want to apply for assistance and what it means for same-sex married couples to apply for these programs.
National Indian Council on Aging: NICOA has many resources for American Indian and Alaska Native Elders who want more information on applying for benefits, including:
- What is Home and Community Based Support Services? https://nicoa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/9-What-is-Home-Care.pdf
- Long Term Services and Supports: https://nicoa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/14-LTSS-fact-Sheet-IIi.pdf
- Medicaid: https://nicoa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/5-Medicaid-Fact-Sheet.pdf
- Medicare: https://nicoa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/4-Medicare-Fact-Sheet-III.pdf
- Social Security: https://nicoa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/3-Social-Security-Fact-Sheet-II.pdf